With limited time now that my second operation has been scheduled, last night saw a quick run through of part of the proposed game for the AMG17 event.
The French forces, at least the majority of the French forces, with infantry sandwiched between two lines of horse. You can also just see some of the dragoons in the lower left.
The "not the " Allied troops. I took the opportunity to ask mark to bring along some of his Anglo-Dutch figures to play the Allies. Partly so that I didn't have to carry all the weight to the club and partly to preserve some of the surprise for the visitors to the event. (Actually I also forgot to bring along a substantial number of figures for both sides.)
The opening engagement with French dragoons holding off some Dutch line.
A short, sharp melee between the French horse and the bulk of the Allied horse in the upper center of the photograph saw much of that horse being cleared out. Unfortunately for the French that melee cost them a third of all their mounted forces.
It also left several French battalions dangerously exposed. The retiring horse left the center wide open and vulnerable. Fortunately the Allied horse were in state to exploit that advantage and retired behind their advancing infantry.
The French pulled back and reformed their line.
Before advancing again to take the firefight to the enemy. Despite causing heavy casualties on the Allies, it was the French morale tests that let them down. With the allies passing most of their tests and the French finding their line beginning to lose cohesion, the French General decided to leave the field to the enemy.
So a decent run through and some things to think about. Deployment is one with the Allies being given a little too much freedom and starting in a better position. I also need to look at the balance of infantry for the French who could do with a little more. Equally I need to revisit the fighting that went on through the villages with the Dragons not being as effective as I hoped (probably because I forgot about the reducing the effectiveness of formed lines). I will also make some changes to the table layout since it was a little too constricted and with too much dead ground.
But since I'm not going to have any more time to get new figures done it looks to be a reasonable game for the event. Certainly gave the players much to think about and not worry over knowing the rules. I say that because we had too new players for the period, Steve & Kim, who quickly picked up the rules and got on with the game.
French figures are all from my collection and are entirely Front Rank, Allies from Mark and a re a mixture of Strategem, Foundry & Front Rank. All the scenery from the shelves of the Grimsby Wargames Society.
My thanks to Mark, Steve & Kim for helping me with the play test. I hope that they come back for more in a few weeks once I'm up and about again.








0 Yorumlar