Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

True names

Regarding the current falling out of DJ with PB:

There are trends on the interwebs and in the blogosphere which haven't made me all that happy. I'm not in favour of the tendency towards creating isolated opinion silos. I want there to be places where opposing views confront one another, not only a tendency towards separation and safety that I think has gone a little far, though it is appropriate in some places.

But...I think it's just as important to call things by their true names. It has long been my felling that "Progressive Bloggers" doesn't really live up to its appellation. I'm generally OK with sharing the same tent who has an overall similar mental framework and conceptualization of
ends, even if they happen to think in a very different way about how to get there and what to say.

This stopped being the case for PB some time ago. I was there quite early on in its history, and even then it was admitting blogs whose underlying world view, well, was not recognizably similar to my own. Calling it all by one name, "progressive", risked giving left-wing credibility to people who were, well, probably not.

For DJ, it's basically unacceptable to accept the same political label as those who would be willing to legislate special limits on pregnant women to control critical parameters of their health. And so, this is the logical destination of that relationship.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar